Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Saturday 16 April 2011

Language

As a writer, I find myself often caught up in the story I'm trying to tell, the characters I'm creating, and making sure my grammar and spelling are up to par.  Now, don't get me wrong, these are all important factors.  But, sometimes the most important factor gets lost in amongst all the worry.  Language.

It is so easy to forget that language is at the core of my writing.  When I realised this, I was horrified - how could I ever have taken such an important tool for granted?  I mean, I appreciate that words are how we communicate, but I had stopped appreciating the choice of words.  Every single word means something.  And when we are writing, we should be completely aware of our word choices. 

Not only should we choose our words with care, we should enjoy the process.  So I'm planning on having some fun with language in the next few weeks.  I'm going to play about with word order and the words I use and see what I come up with.  I'm not expecting it to lead to anything amazing - but I am hoping to rekindle my love of words and just have fun with language for a change.

Have you forgotten your love of language?  Any ideas for word play that I can try?

No comments: