Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 29 April 2011

Being British





I hadn't planned to write about the Royal Wedding.  I hadn't planned to do anything today really related to it.  Not that I wouldn't have liked to, it's just I don't have the ability to get to anywhere with celebrations.  So I'd prepared myself for just another day.


But then I woke up (late, needless to say).  And, I don't know why, but I turned on my radio and tuned in to the wedding (I don't have telly).  To my surprise I seemed to have got the timing exactly right (which, considering I had no idea when the wedding itself was actually happening was quite impressive).  I tuned in just when the Princes were on their way, through the crowds, to Westminster Abbey.  So I listened.  I listened to the wedding ceremony (well, most of it) and afterwards I continued to listen as the reporters discussed the dress (for which I didn't yet have a visual) and the hats (in particular, how Victoria Beckham's hat stayed on) and Princess Diana.  And I was happy to just listen and enjoy the sounds of the crowds screaming and chanting.


I don't really know what I was expecting.  I still don't entirely know what I feel about the whole thing.  In honesty, I'm not that bothered about the Royals.  But then again, I am proud to be British.  And I kind of like that many other countries are jealous of our Royal Family.  I don't think I will ever be as obsessed by them as some people are, but I'm certainly not against them.


What about you?  Do you love our Royal Family?  Hate them?  Did you do anything special for the special wedding day?

3 comments:

Ashley said...

It's funny, because A LOT of people over here in the States are OBSESSED with this wedding... and I have no idea why. It doesn't have anything at all to do with America! And it seems to me (and I don't know for sure--you probably know better than me) that the royal family doesn't even really matter any more in a significant way to England. I mean, it's not a monarchy anymore, so why does anyone care who is "royal" and who isn't? It just seems like a bunch of meaningless titles and empty fanfare. Plus... royal or not, I don't really care much about the weddings of people I don't even know...

Unknown said...

Ashley, I was going to say I think the same as you (at least, I know I don't really care about weddings of people I don't know either) but then I realised that I do like our monarchy. For us Brits, it's what seperates us from the rest of the world, it's what makes us British. I don't think it is as big a deal as it used to be but the nostalgic part of me can't help feeling a little proud of my country today.

Anna R. Williams said...

American girls dream of fairytale weddings. Kate and William are as close as it gets. :)