Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Thursday 3 February 2011

Review: Tangled 2d


Honestly, I was a little nervous about seeing Tangled, Disney's version of Rapunzel.  I am a huge fan of fairy-tales (the nitty gritty original fairy-tales) so am always worried what will happen to them in translation.  However, I am also a fan of Disney so couldn't resist watching their latest animation (actually their 50th!).

The beginning was not good.  I am not a fan character voice-overs (the only film I've ever seen where it worked was American Beauty) so that was an immediate turn-off.  The introduction of Rapunzel was that of a women who cleans and bakes and paints and play guitar and is inevitably brilliant at everything (other than ballet).  I don't feel this is a good message to convey but thankfully it was soon forgotten. 

Yet I soon found myself gripped into the story and music and magic.  I laughed often and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The story wasn't really like the Rapunzel I remember from my childhood, and I daresay the original version will be lost after this film.  However, I felt that the story Disney created worked and I am (almost) happy to let the 'Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair, so I may climb your golden stair.' go and accept the new one that every child will soon know.



Despite my few worries - a drunk old man as a cherub and the use of a frying pan as a weapon - I believe this Rapunzel is a complete success and will keep the fairy tale alive for generations to come.

No comments: