Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Wednesday 25 January 2012

How Creative Habits Make Sure I Get Something Done Everyday


I have been kind of having a bad week.  Mostly it’s to do with not sleeping particularly well, but there have also been stumbles (leading to blind panic) in my journey.  Today I woke up feeling extra groggy.  Truthfully I didn’t want to write a blog post and do the work that I know needs doing for my business.  Granted, I still haven’t done any work, but that’s more that I’ve only been up a half hour, than simply because I haven’t done it.  What I have done is write at 750 words (and now I’m writing this).

750 words came from the idea of writing morning pages – the point being to clear your mind of clutter before you get started on your day.  I used to write my pages at random points throughout the day, whenever I felt like it.  Then I stopped writing them at all for a few months.  About a week ago I decided to start writing them again and to actually write them first thing (after I’ve eaten my breakfast but before I’ve done anything else).  So far it’s been going well, but it was today that I saw the benefits.

Like I said, I was groggy this morning, I didn’t want to turn on my laptop and start typing; but I did.  Writing those 750 words each morning is becoming a habit for me, and a positive one at that.  I sat myself down and started typing because that’s what I do each morning now – I didn’t think about it much.  Sure, I didn’t want to do it but I didn’t actually even try and think of something else to do instead.  And now I have written it, which has led to writing this post (a part of this habit I’m forming is do some blog or essay writing immediately after).  And for the first time it doesn’t feel like a struggle to get myself to do it, because it’s just what I do in the morning.  Turning writing into a morning habit is guaranteeing that I’ll get it done.  And now that I see it’s working, I’m going to see what else I can create into a habit that will help me with getting on with my work.

Have you made your creative work part of a habit you have?  If not, then is there anything that you would like to turn into a habit?  Let us know in the comments.

If this post has inspired you to start forming some creative habits of your own, I strongly suggest you go and read Dan Goodwin’s post on Creating Your Beautiful Creative Life for advice on how to get started and the benefits.

No comments: