Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 29 January 2010

Strangers

The other night I was out dancing which was a real treat for me as thanks to my M.E. I'm not really able to induldge in this passion much anymore - anyway, this post is not about the fact that I went dancing, or the fact that I can't often. It is about the random stranger who made my night.

It was that time of the evening when you find yourself alone - all your friends have managed to disappear at the exact same time to get some air/go to the toilet/make a phone call; I'm sure you're familiar with it. Normally when this happens to me, I quickly find myself getting a little depressed, particularly when you add in the factor that I had had a little more than a little to drink. But this time, before I even had the chance to really realise I was on my own, a random woman came over to me, held out her hand and pulled me up to dance with her and her friends. It was only one dance but I (almost) enjoyed that more than any of the others simply because I felt accepted by these strangers.

And for the record - it was a brilliant night out and totally worth the pain of physical movement the next day on top of the hangover.

3 comments:

Kess said...

It's funny how strangers can really help to improve the night, and make you feel welcome in their group :)

I went out with my two best friends, both wheelchair users, and although they can walk with support, they avoided going on to the dance floor because it was so crowded. On this occasion, however, we were approached by a guy, and he helped each of them in turn on to the dance floor and danced with them until they were ready to return to a less crowded part of the club. He was strong and able to give them the support they required to feel safe

Julie P said...

I'm glad you had a good night,Bethany, particularly as you don't get out all that much. The kindness of strangers eh?

Julie xx

Doctor FTSE said...

Julie . . how are you? For another take on the kindness of strangers, read Ian McEwen's "The Kindness of Strangers." I'll be over to your blog soon. XX