Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Monday 23 November 2009

Enid

I watched the docu-drama 'Enid' on BBC4 the other day. I was expecting it to be less than complimentary as I am an Enid Blyton fan, and am well aware of problems in her personal life. However, what was highlighted that I'd never really considered before was the effect of fame and the media on her life. The fact that she was aware of the slander being spread about her (that she didn't write her own books and that she was old-fashioned in her writing) creates a conflict for me. On the one hand I feel that not knowing and living in ignorance is often underrated - what you don't know can't hurt you. On the other hand, I am glad that at least she had a chance to defend herself. I guess I was just slightly surprised at how the media hasn't changed - they are still looking to find a good story, often bending the truth of celebrities to make good gossip (in my opinion).

As for Enid Blyton herself, I am not going to pass judgement on something that I cannot understand - her personal life. However, I will always be a fan of her work as it made my childhood, to the point that I now collect her books. The only problem I really have is the new, PC versions being printed now. So much is being lost from history by changing these books so I will always stick to the originals, no matter how hard they are to find. Not to mention that an average of 6000 words a day is simply inspirational.

No comments: