Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 1 October 2010

Review: Sex and the City (Book)

Lovers of the TV series will instantly recognize the many of the scenarios shown through this collection of the Sex and the City newspaper columns by Candace Bushnell.  However, don't expect any other similarities.  While the characters of Carrie, Samantha and Miranda do appear in the books, they aren't the same as in the series and only Carrie is in more than two chapters (and it isn't the fabulous Carrie character we have come to love on our screens).

In fairness, I'm impressed so much was gleaned from these pages to make 6 years and 2 films (so far).  Because, as I've said, it is a collection of columns.  It is not a novel, and therefore shouldn't be read as such.  It is a book that you can easily dip into and read a chapter and there without worrying about what you've previously read.  However, I did find that as I read it (I read it through like a normal book) I became more engrossed towards the end.  That is when the feelings for the characters started to appear, rather than just names on a page, and Carrie started taking a front seat.

While I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who doesn't like sarcastic humour or slightly depressing humour, it is definitely a must for any Sex and the City fan, as it is the core of the show and Bushnell's style and flair is what will pull you in and make you laugh - but only if you have the sense of humour to laugh at what could be quite depressing situations.

No comments: