Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Sunday 19 January 2014

Sunday Shout Out: Duolingo

Pretty much since I left Sixth Form, I have been keeping my French and Italian books (GCSE and AS-Level) with the complete intention of reteaching myself French and starting again with Italian (I didn't do a whole lot of Italian, and all I remember is how to say 'my name is...' which I don't think will get me very far).  Every place I have lived since I moved away from my parents, I have taken these books with me.

I am really passionate about foreign languages. I love how they sound, and I hate that I can only speak one language fluently (and for that reason often wish I'd been born somewhere else where English is taught as a second language practically since birth). But I'm not good at foreign languages.  No matter how hard I tried, how much I studied, I still lagged at the back of the class, and managed to get a 'U' in AS French. For those of you who know me, you'll know that I was a bit of a swot in school and graded fairly high in most of my classes. The burn of course is that French was the only subject I actually tried at, yet it was my worst subject.

Anyway, a couple of months ago one of my brothers (or two of them, I'm not sure), mentioned DuoLingo - a free site which helps you learn foreign languages. I dutifully bookmarked it then forgot all about it.  Last week I watched this New Year video, and Sanne mentioned the DuoLingo app. As I'm beginning to get used to my smartphone, I figured I'd give it a go. I've been using it for a week and already I have learnt words I'm fairly certain I never knew.

DuoLingo teaches you in short themed sections. You translate to and from your chosen language and are also able to practice your pronunciation. As i said, it is both a website and an app (they sync together), and for anyone thinking that this is the year to learn a new language, or refresh your memory, I have to point you in DuoLingo's direction.

Oh, and you can follow me here.

[Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form, sponsored to write about this site. I just want to share it with you.]

No comments: