Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 14 August 2009

Inspiration

I often think to myself that I don't have any ideas for my writing - that's my blog, short stories, poetry, even my journal on bad days. I feel like my imagination is draining, that age is stealing all my childhood fantasies away, leaving me with little to write about. This, of course, is complete rubbish as the phrase 'write what you know' is still, I believe, the best source of anything worth reading, and therefore, writing. But working out what you know, that you would be able to turn into an interesting string of words, is harder than you would think. Try it now - think of something you know: a fact, a theory, what happened in Eastenders last night - now turn it into a idea. OK, so I've just disproved my point - I'm guessing you are full of ideas this very second. But was that because I prompted you - would you have been able to dig through everything you know and chosen something without them? So, the first point - write what you know (yes I know I'm repeating it), second point - everything you know can be converted into ideas if you can decide where to start. And my last point - if you can't decide what to use - find something new. Look around you, listen to conversations around you, watch how people move and I guarantee that you'll see something that sparks your interest. Remember that if it sparks your interest, the chances are, it'll spark someone else's as well.

So now all I have to do is follow my own advice. It's all very well to dish it out - and no doubt you're thinking this sounds very textbook - but it does work and it has worked for me, now I just have to get motivated enough to keep going and once those ideas role in, have enough motivation to keep writing and writing and writing. As without the words, nothing will be written.

No comments: