Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Wednesday 14 September 2011

I Matter. You Matter.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”  ~ Marianne Williamson
 Last week I came across this quote and I was struck.  Recently, I have been struggling with the feeling that I have nothing to give.  Sure, I have the ideas (for ebooks, novels, that secret project I was meant to be working on but let fear get the better of me) but every time I truly think about starting them, I think 'who am I to write about/do this?  I have nothing to share.  No one will want it.'  Reading this quote has helped me push past these fears.

Yes, I am still afraid that no one will want what I think I can give.  But now I feel that that doesn't matter.  Because I need to use my skills to produce.  No one might want I offer.  But someone might.  Someone might NEED it.  I could change someone's life, not to mention my own.

So I think I'm going to print out this quote and look at it every day.  I need to be reminded that I DO have something to give.  EVERYONE has something to give. So that secret project?  Yeah, it's back on.

5 comments:

Kess said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome quote with the rest of us. I think we all get days like that, when we feel we have nothing to give, and need a sharp reminder that this isn't true at all!

Erika said...

Last year, one of my posts was linked in an Etsy article. I wrote about my fears of starting a small business and it has propelled me to thinking big and helping others. And accepting that even if it is only one person that is helped that day then I did what I was supposed to for that day.

Keep it up.

Erika
Artful Rising

dominique said...

Tamara - This is one of my favorite quotes from her book. I love it!

I think we all struggle with not being enough, or doing enough. Julie Cameron reallys deals with that in the Artist's Way.

I think as writer's we struggle with it more because in order to write we must be in touch and transparent with our inner voice in a way most people aren't. That leaves us naked and vulnerable many times.

I am glad that you are here and that you are contributing and I think you have much to offer the world and I for one can't wait to see all you accomplish

Love and hugs.

Unknown said...

Kess - you are so right, we all need reminding that we do have something to give. I know you do and look forward to seeing your achievements.

Erika - That is exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes we need to do things that we are not used to and we need to follow the path that offers itself to us. And I completely agree that it is still entirely worthwhile, even if you only effect one person that day, it is still worthwhile and important.

Dominique - thank you so much for your beautiful comment, it almost made me cry. I know you also have plenty to give (have already) as you have enriched my life so much already through your honesty and strength you portray in your blog.

February Grace said...

*hug*

~bru