Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Saturday 2 July 2011

Review: Mollie Makes

I've been hearing a lot about Mollie Makes crafting magazine online lately so I knew I had to check it out.  The other day I picked up a copy from my local WH Smiths, I was really excited as this was my treat for this month.  Each issue has a kit to make, this month's was a felt flower so I got to making it straight away.  I have to be honest and say that I wasn't that impressed with the magazine overall, nor the free gift.  Sure, it was fun to make but the instructions were shockingly lacking and as a stitching newbie I didn't really know what I was doing.  I think I did okay:
 Hanging on the door where it's made it's home.

 I couldn't resist a shot with piglet sporting it.

Okay, so I am really quite proud of it as it's the first crafty thing I've made in a while that doesn't involve cross-stitch or paper.  That takes me on to my main problem with the magazine - it seemed to assume that all the readers are advanced with every craft.  From felt, to embroidery, to crochet, there were patterns (and not that many if we're being honest) but not really many instructions. 

The one thing I did love about this magazine was the colours it used which provided me with plenty of inspiration.  But I think I will only be buying it once in a while if I need the inspiration or the free kit looks especially good.

While we're on the topic, what crafty magazines do you love?

2 comments:

Rachel Brooks said...

Your felt flower looks wonderful! I can't believe you managed to make it look so good despite poor instructions. You go girl :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Rachel, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to stitch it or glue it so I just stitched it together and hoped for the best.