Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 23 May 2014

MTHMM - Summer Memories

So much has happened in my life already, and a lot of those experiences have stayed with me.  They are not all monumentous, nor are they all life changing.  But every single one of them (and the countless more that are buried deep within me) have made me who I am.  


I hope others will join in with me and post their own memories on their blogs (or in the comments).  I will be posting mine every Friday, but it doesn’t matter when you write yours or if you wish to do them fortnightly or monthly – your writing should fit with your schedule.  If you do join I ask that you link to my blog (until I’ve worked out how to create a button for you to display) and that you will link your POST (not just your blog link please) in the comments each week.


This past week has been very summery with lots of sunshine and blue skies, and it's got me remembering Summer as a teenager.

I was a shy, book-obsessed, teacher's pet, if you can imagine it, and I hated Summer holidays. Usually I would spend almost every day doing nothing but reading, often forgetting to eat as I was so wrapped up in my books. But to be honest, most of my Summer memories happened at school.

I remember eating lunch outside with my friends, sometimes having grass fights (not too often as one of my friends was allergic to grass), sometimes having water fights.  In the case of the latter it would often mean having to sit though the last lesson with t-shirts and trousers soaking wet. I don't remember ever getting into trouble for it, but it wouldn't surprise me if we did, as afterwards we would all be hyped up, energetic and laughing so much that it must have been disruptive.

When we were in Sixth Form (at the same High School), we would sit on our grassy spot during free periods, studying.  It's much easier to study in fresh air than in a musty room, and it worked for us.

All those times have sort of amalgamated into one. It was the time I was care-free, without much worry, and certainly not full of the difficulties I have now (though I had M.E. during the last few years of High School, meaning I went part-time, it didn't affect my ability to sit on the grass with my friends). It was a time when I would freeze my water bottle overnight so it stayed cool all through the day, when I was learning to de-stress and simply enjoy.  I have never been a Summer person, so perhaps that's why my best Summer memories were those at school, when Summer was just beginning, when I could sit in the shade and there was still a decent breeze; a time when I was reasonably happy.

What are your summer memories?

No comments: