Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Saturday 15 March 2014

A Momentous 'Coffee'

Yesterday I went for a 'coffee' (actually I had a chai latte but it was way too sweet so I got an iced drink) with a friend.

It doesn't sound like a lot, but to me it was a huge deal. To go for a coffee meant getting the bus by myself and then relying on my legs to get me to Costa, back to the bus stop afterwards and then home when I got off the bus, not to mention sitting and chatting for ages. I also managed a walk around Poundland as well (where I picked up some very cute cupcake cases) which is in incredible.  I know it probably wasn't my smartest idea as I am planning to go out tonight, and already I am feeling the pain from doing too much; but at least I now know I can do it.

I know I have been improving since moving into my new flat, though sometimes it feels as though I am taking steps backwards instead of forwards. I have known it, and am hopeful, but yesterday was the first time I imagined that I could really get my life back the way it was before.  I know I still have a long way to go, but I'm starting to really believe it, as opposed to simply acknowledging it.

Of course I will likely always have to be aware of my M.E. - it isn't a disability that disappears completely - but I'm starting to imagine a life with a job and a social life (that isn't retained to Twitter) and I can't wait to be 'normal' again.

So going for a coffee may not be a big deal to everyone, but for me it is another hurdle I've finally managed to cross.


1 comment:

hayleyeszti said...

It does always seem to be two steps forward, one step back with us doesn't it. But that little trip out is a big deal, I know I'd struggle with it! You should be proud your little legs managed it, and I hope you rewarded them with a lovely soak in the bath and a rest afterwards :)