Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Typing


I have heard/read many writers say that even if they couldn’t physically write or type, they would find another way to tell their stories.  This has always made me feel left out as that just isn’t true for me.  In the past I have often questioned if I really was a writer as I don’t have many stories just bursting to come out of me.  Primarily, I am not a storyteller. 

But I am a writer.  I’m now beginning to embrace the fact that being a writer does not mean you can only write novels or short stories or poems.  It means you write.  And to me, typing my 750 words each morning, and writing these posts (and many more that never make it to the blog) makes me a writer.  I love sharing my views and I believe that if I couldn’t type for whatever reason, I would probably end up debating with people face to face so I could still let everyone know my opinions on everything.

I’m really hoping that doesn’t happen though.  Not because I don’t think I could hold my own in a debate (though I am a little rusty as I no longer have the practice with my family and at school), but because I hate the idea of never being able to type again.  There is nothing wrong with writing longhand, and I do enjoy it from time to time (though it can cause me a lot of pain in my hand and arm), but I’ve come to realise that one of my true passions in life is typing.

I love the feel of my fingers moving quickly over the keyboard, knowing that the endless clicking is creating sense on the screen (most of the time, anyway).  I love the feel of the keys under my fingertips.  And I love the sense of calm typing gives me.  I am so glad that I am lucky enough to be able to indulge in this passion every morning of every day (well, almost).  I would go as far to say that the reason the morning pages work for me is because of the sense of power and contentment I get from tapping at a keyboard for ten to fifteen minutes without actually having to think about anything.  I have tried doing my morning pages on paper but it just didn’t have the same effect for me.

Is there anything you do every day or very often that you haven’t realised just how much you enjoy?  Something totally random and mundane (I also love washing up as I find it relaxing when my M.E. doesn’t cause me pain from doing it) and beautiful – please share in the comments (or feel free to gush in an entire post about your love, as I have done here).

No comments: