Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Wednesday 5 May 2010

What Would the Doctor Do?

The other day I was wishing I could think like the Doctor - there is something about the quickness and intelligence with which he thinks, the way he states all aspects of the problem then attacks each point until he has narrowed down the answer.  Wouldn't it be awesome if people could really think the way he does?  And then I realised that what I am actually impressed with is the writing.  The way the Doctor thinks and speaks is a product of the creators and writers and actors.  In thinking what would the Doctor do I had forgotten that he is a character.  I mean, I know he is fictional.

But the fact that I think of him as real is a tribute to the writers.  And I think too often we forget about the writers, especially in television and film.  The better the writing the less we notice it which is how it's supposed to be.  But we shouldn't forget where it comes from.  Someone has created the worlds, the situations and the answers as well as putting the words into the character's mouths and that while I may physically be able to do that I can only hope that one day my writing will speak to someone so directly that they forget it was written.  That is my dream.  Not to be forgotten.  But to have my work appreciated so much that I blend into the background and therefore whatever message is in my work will be received without interruption from me.  What does being great at what you do mean to you?

1 comment:

Kess said...

I would love to write like that too, Bethany. I've never really thought about the writers behind the doctor before, but what you said is so true: their talent really does go unrecognised because the characterisation of the doctor is so riveting!