Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Saturday 23 August 2014

A New Interest

If you follow my book blog Captivated by Books, then you'll know that this week I've been participating in a read-a-thon, and yesterday I finished a collection of short stories by H.G. Wells.

I've wanted to read The Time Machine for quite a while now, after all, it's an iconic story that everyone's heard of; so when I saw it sitting on my shelf at my parent's I picked it up. I have to admit it wasn't what I expected (mainly because I'd seen a film of it that wasn't remotely like the story), and nor was it my favourite story in the book.  However, the whole book itself has opened up my world.

The way in which Wells tells his stories, and the imagination of those stories is just incredible.  I've never been that into science-fiction beyond Doctor Who (so excited for the new episode tonight, but as I don't have TV will have to wait til it's on iPlayer); I think I likely discarded it in my teens for some reason or other. But now I'm realising my tastes may have changed to include science-fiction. Of course I'm aware that not all writers and stories are created equal, but I'm finding myself desperate to lap up any sci-fi I can find, particularly in the form of books and TV shows. I've started watching Stargate Atlantis (as it's on Netflix) ,which a few years ago I wasn't remotely interested in; I don't know if I like it yet but am giving it a fighting chance.

The thing is, I don't really know what sci-fi is out there. So this post is mainly to ask for suggestions of authors or books or shows or films from those of you who already love science-fiction.  And the other part of this post is simply to share my new enthusiasm. Don't you love it when you discover something 'new' that just lights up your mind? I know I do, and I'm so glad I decided to finally read some Wells - I will definitely be reading the rest of his works.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I love the Discworld series by Terry Prarchaet.