Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Thursday 5 August 2010

Review: Toy Story 3 (3D)

As regular readers of my blog will know, I am not a fan of 3D.  In the past I've had problems with the mass amount of extra energy it uses and the headaches it causes, not to mention the extra cost.  So when I went to see Toy Story 3 I was planning on seeing it in 2D.  It turns out that everyone else had made the same choice and the only screening left was sold out.  As I really wanted to see Toy Story 3 I decided to risk 3D.

Firstly, I was very impressed with the 3D effects.  I know for the most part the only really effective effects were the ones designed to sell 3D but the fact is that during the film it didn't hinder my experience in any way.  Granted, I'm not sure it enhanced it either but I'm just focusing on the fact that I didn't get a headache and it didn't wear me out too much.  Most of the time I completely forgot it was in 3D.

As for the film itself: interesting storyline.  As usual Woody is advocate for being Andy's toys when the others want to move on to greener pastures now that Andy is going to college.  The characterization was very believable and in sync with the previous films which I definitely appreciated.  Knowing that the characters hadn't changed much was important as it helped me follow the situation and almost guess what the characters might do next.  I'm pleased to say that although the characters stayed the same, they did not become predictable so still held my interest.

As for the storyline, I have to say that it seemed a little political for a children's film.  Maybe it's because I'm watching it as an adult but the fact that there is a pyramid 'government' (the term 'pyramid' is actually in the film) made it seem as if the producers were trying to make a point.  And while the Spanish mode of one the characters is funny - I'm not sure about subtitles in a children's film, I mean how easy is it to read the translation and watch the film itself when you've just learnt to read?

However, afterall that, I would completely recommend this film to everyone as long as you can get over the politics of it, as it made me laugh out loud (and the rest of the very small audience as well) and I cried at the end.  I'm sure that last statement just makes me seem like a complete softie but oh well.  This is a film that follows as the perfect ending to the Toy Story films but I don't think watching it in 3D will make your experience much different from watching it in 2D (this is my opinion as I haven't actually seen it in 2D).  So basically, it's a good film that's perfect for light entertainment when the message is ignored.

1 comment:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I can honestly say that I have never seen a movie in 3D! I can't get over how much they charge for them!