Help me Celebrate my Birthday

Help Me Celebrate my Birthday !!!!
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Thursday 27 August 2009

A Night Out

Last night I went to the cinema - I only went due to Orange Wednesdays (might as well use the offer) and we chose the film with a coin; the outcome was The Time Traveller's Wife, so that's what we saw. OK, so I'd heard of it, I even had a very vague idea of what it was about but didn't really expect much and as it was late I certainly didn't expect the cinema to be completely jam-packed with people, only a few seats left. But it got me thinking. Perhaps the pastime of going to the pictures isn't as lost as I had thought. You can't blame me for thinking it. Most people have a DVD player and many have countless DVDs - it's no surprise with many of them cheaper than going to the cinema. But I can also see why it has stayed. Films are impressive and there's plenty of choice. It isn't that expensive (though certainly not as reasonably priced as when I was a kid), there's the atmosphere if you have the right audience and if you're like me you fill your stomach with rubbish - ie. popcorn (it has no calories if you're on a night out), and it gets you out of the house somewhere where you know you won't have to put too much exertion in - let's face it, it involves sitting down for 2-3 hours. But is it the only pastime that has stayed? I don't think so. We still play board games, when I was younger we played hopscotch and cats-cradle. I don't know what traditions have been lost, after all, they are lost, but I'm happy to keep to those we've kept and those we're now creating.

And yes, the film was quite enjoyable - had humour, sensitivity and a different kind of plot.

1 comment:

Kess said...

I really want to see that film! From what you've said it sounds as though it's worth a see :)

Interesting blog. I've never really thought about it before but I think going to the cinema is a pastime that has stayed. However, I can't say I go all that often. It's normally a rare treat, and like you I use the Orange Wednesday offer.

I tend to go if there's a film I really really want to see, and can't wait until it's out on DVD and at an affordable price.

There's also something about going to the cinema, the atmosphere I guess, that makes it an enjoyable experience. You can go with a partner, or with a group of friends, and still have a great night.